If, following our normal assessment procedures, we feel a child is not making as much progress as we would have hoped, then steps will be taken to ensure that he/she receives extra support in the classroom. We seek to identify and to make provision for such pupils as soon as possible, recognising too that some children will develop at a slower rate than others and may not necessarily be classed as having a Special Educational Need.

If a child needs extra support, above and beyond what a child would normally expect to receive from their class teacher, then they will, in accordance with published guidelines, be placed on the Special Needs Register. The Special Needs Register can be categorised into different ‘Areas of Need’:

Cognition and Learning Speech, Language, Communication and Interaction, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Sensory Medical & Physical

The class teacher (with support from the SENCo) is responsible for creating a My Plan, which describes additional strategies that will help the child to make progress and specific, achievable targets will be set and reviewed each term.

When planning, class teachers are fully aware of the teaching strategies set out in the My Plan and are mindful of this when considering how best to meet the needs of the child. Parents and children are invited to termly review meetings to discuss progress against targets on the My Plan.

The majority of extra support and provision will take place in the classroom as we believe in every child having complete access to the curriculum. However, we do recognise that sometimes withdrawing children from the classroom to work on specific targets with our SENCo, a teaching assistant or teacher is also of extreme value.

Any parent who has a concern about their child’s learning in relation to the areas of need specified above is encouraged to discuss this with the class teacher, Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) Mrs Dodd or the SEN Governor Mrs Hanson.

Many difficulties can be catered for successfully within the school but if your child needs additional specialist support then we are able to consult other professionals from the LA’s Special Needs Advisory Service. However, no child would be referred to these services without prior consultation with parents.

If your child has special educational needs that are likely to require provision above and beyond those which are available to the school, an Education and Health Care needs assessment application will be made. The school’s SENCo or the Headteacher will explain this process to parents and they will be fully involved in any decisions about their child’s needs.